After World War I, replacement capital ships for the German Navy were limited to 10,000 tons and 11 inch (280 mm) guns.
Before Admiral Graf Spee was given her official name, she was referred to as Panzerschiff C and Ersatz Braunschweig, as she would be replacing the old battleship Braunschweig in the fleet inventory.
She was considered the most advanced and improved of her class of ships. It cost 82 million Reichsmarks to build. Much weight was saved by using electric arc welding instead of rivets.
Technologically, Admiral Graf Spee was ahead of her time, especially in terms of her speed. At one point, the Allies were convinced that two such ships must exist so as to explain her near-simultaneous appearance in distant locations, unexplainable by conventional sea travel at the time.
After commissioning in 1936, Admiral Graf Spee served as fleet flagship until 1938, and performed international maritime control duties off the coast of Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Prior to the invasion of Poland plans were made to deploy the Panzerschiffe as raiders in the Atlantic Ocean. Admiral Graf Spee sailed from Wilhelmshaven on 21 August 1939, her mission to act as a raider in the South Atlantic. Supported by her supply ship, the tanker Altmark, her orders were to sink British merchant ships but to avoid combat with strong enemy forces, thus threatening vital Allied supply lines and drawing British naval units off their stations in other parts of the world.
From September through December 1939 Admiral Graf Spee sank nine merchant ships in the South Atlantic and Indian Ocean, the first on 30 September 1939. Captain Hans Langsdorff strictly adhered to the rules of mercantile warfare at the time and saved all of the crew members of these ships; not a life was lost in these sinkings. The captured crews were transferred to the tanker Altmark. Later, these 303 crew members were freed by force in neutral Norwegian territorial waters by the British destroyer HMS Cossack (the Altmark Incident).
Battle of the River Plate
Britain formed seven hunting groups in the Atlantic and one in the Indian Ocean to look for Admiral Graf Spee, totalling three battleships, two battlecruisers, four aircraft carriers, and 16 cruisers (including several French ships). More groups were assembled later.
On 13 December 1939, she was located by the British Hunting Group G, consisting of the 8 inch (203 mm) gunned cruiser HMS Exeter and the 6 inch (152 mm) gunned light cruisers HMS Ajax and HMS Achilles, and the Battle of the River Plate ensued. During the battle, she inflicted heavy damage upon the Exeter, forcing it to break off. Late in the exchange, one of Graf Spee's shells caused some casualties on the Achilles. In return, Graf Spee was hit repeated times by the 6-inch shells of the light cruisers, which could not penetrate her armour but nonetheless inflicted significant topside damage.
Admiral Graf Spee entered the neutral port of Montevideo, Uruguay, for repairs. The damage was spectacular-looking but actually relatively superficial. However there were some critical hits; for instance, damage to the unarmoured bow reduced the ship's seaworthiness in the rough seas of the North Atlantic. During this time, the ship's dead were buried in a Montevideo cemetery. At the funeral ceremony, Captain Hans Langsdorff used the naval salute, while all others around him used the Nazi salute. A ruse by the British made the captain think that he was out-numbered, with a fleet of aircraft carriers and battleships on its way (in fact, not a single additional vessel could have arrived in time), and that his escape route was cut off. On 17 December 1939, with the British cruisers Ajax, Achilles, and Cumberland waiting in international waters outside the mouth of the Río de la Plata, the ship sailed just outside the harbor and was scuttled by her crew to avoid risking the crew in what he expected to be a losing battle. Captain Langsdorff committed suicide three days later by shooting himself.
Laid down as Panzerschiffe C, although it was initially known as Ersatz Braunschweig October 1 1932
Launched: June 30 1934
Commissioned: January 6 1936
Fate: Scuttled December 17 1939
General Characteristics Displacement: 12,100 t standard; 16,200 t full load
Length: 186 m (610 ft)
Beam: 21.6 m (71 ft)
Draft (max.): 7.4 m (24 ft)
6 × 280 mm (11 inch)
8 × 150 mm (5.9 inch)
6 × 105 mm (4.1 inch)
8 × 37 mm
10 × 20 mm
8 × 533 mm
(21 inch) torpedo tubes Rate of fire: 28 cm guns: 2.5 round/min each
15 cm guns: 6 to 8 round/min each Gun range: 28 cm guns at 40 deg; (armor-piercing shells): 36,475 m Estimated gun life:
28 cm guns: about 340 rounds;
15 cm guns: about 1,100 rounds Munitions supply:
28 cm guns: 105 to 120 rounds per gun
Armor:turret face: (160 mm) belt: (80 mm) deck: 40 mm)
Aircraft: Two Arado 196 seaplanes, one catapult
Propulsion: Eight 9-cylinder double-acting two-stroke MAN diesels two screws, 52,050 hp (40 MW)
Speed: 28.5 knots (53 km/h)
Range: 8,900 nautical miles at 20 knots (16,500 km at 37 km/h) or 19,000 nautical miles at 10 knots (35,000 km at 18.5 km/h)
The kit is a 1:200 scale radio control working model .The kit consists of a plura hull (plastic ) with wooden decks and superstructure and set of English instructions.
Also included in our price is the running gear (props & Shafts) and the fitting set the fittings tend to be made from high quality injection moulded plastic ,Brass and steel I.E things like main armament , ready made railing , Radar, anchors, away boats Ect.
RC functions Inc: forward, backward, rudder control, motor control
Specification: Length 940 mm Width 180 mm
Optional extras to complete
2x 385 motors 2 x Couplings 1 x Speed controller 1 x radio 2 to 6 channel 1 x main drive battery + Glues and Paint
See list on the right hand side for suggestions
Price: £420.00 (Including VAT at 20%) Quantity: